Friday, July 6, 2007

Thing #4 - Flickr



Here is a Creative Commons photo of the Capitola pier taken by Simon Bisson. I like the stormy sky.

Its been very gratifying to see such a large number of Creative Commons photos available on Flickr. I wish they would make it easier to find the photographer's real name for giving credit, though. Its easy to get their Flickr username but more clicks to get their real names, and sometimes real names aren't even available. Still, I'm grateful that they are using CC licenses.

My brother and his girlfriend just had a baby in May, and they are putting all their photos on Flickr, but are not using CC licenses so I'm not going to post a photo of my cute nephew until I ask permission.

I love the Flickr Spell application -- that I will definitely use again when I want an eye-catching graphic heading (all CC licenses, too!). But I really don't see any applications for library stuff here. I would post library photos of an event on a library web page before I'd post to Flickr, and I would rather use photos of our own libraries than of other libraries. But I guess if I was looking for examples of other library buildings that I liked and I needed to make a presentation for someone on that topic it would be a good source of material. But thats not something I do.

No comments: